Vierzehn in German
Quaranta in Italian
Apatnapu in Filipino
Recently, i had been packing my things - vacuum-packing my thick and bulky winter clothes and shoes, checking accumulated papers/notes and hopefully scanning them. Not just because I had to leave soon but because I will have a new friend coming to accompany me all throughout the month of June. It was a
|Mein Zimmer (My room). Well-prepared room welcomed me at 3:00 am, 1 September 2011, Germany time.|
|How sweet is it that my roommate Linda had prepared this welcome cut-outs for me? Herzlich Willkommen which means a hearty welcome in Deutsch.|
There are a lot to tell, I wonder how and when shall I start. So i share random thoughts that I hope to even blog about.
- my first continent crossing/ long-trip and the beautiful view of the desert, the sea, of changing time zones
- how wonderful my roommate Linda is, her family in Herzberg am Harz, and her friends
- my challenging German lessons in September and March (internal bleeding). and how i survived going to German church!
- first Europe trip in October (Darmstadt-Cologne-Aachen, Germany to Maastricht, Netherlands) which I was a bit nervous because of the train transfers and language barrier. Thea was just laughing at me when we met.
- Mundus Urbano experiences, reflections in the Philippine context and perspectives in urban development, transportation in the Philippines, culture and a lot more. how shall I describe our programs' participants composition?
- first snow experience in Bonn, Germany where Simi and Holger accommodated me. bike around Bonn and the German Historical Museum. drinking Kölsch - a typical Cologne beer
- Paris trip with Jigay, Juliet and Baba :) awestruck! i still cannot imagine I had been in Paris!!!
- my struggle to finish a half-meter bratwurst (sausage) in Göttingen Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas bazaar/ night market)
|How can't I track all these sights I had been to?|
- my visit to the Schramms in Herzberg am Harz, and the second, and the third one. my experience of a German Medieval hilly town's celebration
- playing with cute and cuddly kids - Janne, Leni, Caleb, Felix
- our Germany excursion in February (Leipzig, Berlin, Hamburg, Dortmund and Ruhr Region)! Walking outside along the remaining Berlin Mauer (Wall) at -18 to -20°C! the frozen Alster lake in Hamburg! thrilling experience
- study mode and partaking to the World Bank's intensive E-Learning course on Safe and Resilient Cities
- running in Darmstadt? and biking, and walking? it is just so safe here!!!
- my Karlshof International group, our songs and prayers in more than three languages and the international worship service in Darmstadtium. taste of heaven!
|Wonderful people! How shall I start talking about who?|
- Darmstadt and its historical places, gardens and neighborhoods
- Mein Fahrrad and my helmet and their owners and how wonderful to see the sun again and shed off heavy layers! :)
|From typically German, European to Filipino! :)|
- all the food that I had cooked and tried :) waah endless pictures and yummyness. Can you imagine I had tupig here in March? the great Filipino (usually Filipinas) community and our celebrations and parties with all the foods I miss way back home
- the vineyard hike and understanding John 15 deeper. solo trips and adventures where my bike, my feet and my semesterticket will bring me for FREE
- how i celebrated my first birthday outside the Philippines and how amazing it was!
|What had happened when!!!|
Honest confession, even I had spent more than nine months already in this place, there are still a lot of times that I just stop, think and ask... Am I really in Germany? Is this really happening? Or am I just dreaming? Leaving my heart thankful again as always.