Sunday, May 27, 2012

Of washing - Abwaschen

During my first months in Darmstadt, I met wonderful people named Maria and Sebastian - very good-hearted, young German couple who touched my life in many ways. They invited me in the church, to their house and to other places in Darmstadt.


One day, I was invited (again) for a dinner in their house and I also agreed to cook a Filipino dish for them. With much thinking, I decided to prepare Chicken Adobo with Potato and Boiled Eggs, and of course, rice!
It was a great night, and even greater with Stefi's presence, some red and white wine, fresh apple juice and Basti's (aka Sebastian) ice cream with melted chocolate. It was a great night full of stories and sharing!



Then we started to clean up the dining table, and i thought we are off to go home. But then, I was offered to wash the dishes with them! Wash the dishes? Was?! (What?!) They must be kidding me. 


In the Philippines, guests are not allowed to move a finger and help in meal preparation, or even tidying up. Guests are guests and treated as royalties. (though it still depends who the guests are.)
In this context, such invitation to wash the dishes means a very good relationship between the guests and the hosts. It is such a compliment to be offered to do a household chore! From then on, my dishwashing story had been one of the stories retold to the couple's guests. Moreover, they told me that if had been in their house for more than three times, I should find my way and get whatever I want from the kitchen. Uhm.. recounting my moments with Mia (aka Maria) and Basti ...eins..zwei..drei..vier..mehr als drei (one..two...three...four...more than three...). I lost counting..
"In this context, such invitation to wash the dishes means a very good relationship between the guests and the hosts."


Saubere Küche (clean kitchen) at Donnersbergring


Linda (my flatmate) and I also make use of the dinner to dishwashing time as our 'catching-up-with-one-another-how-was-your-day-and-what-are-your-plans-for-tomorrow' moment.


Abwaschen - verb, unregelmäßig (irregular), to wash the dishes


Backtracking...56 days to go before Darmstadt studies end...

No comments:

Post a Comment